To find the speed of your internet connection, try a speed test website and wait for the test to complete. Ideal test conditions are:
- A proper test of your connection should use a wired Ethernet connection.
- With only one device on your network using the internet connection.
- With background internet applications and processes like cloud services (for example, iCloud, Google Drive or torrents) stopped.
- With only the tab for the speed test open in your web browser.
It is normal for the download speed to be much faster than the upload speed. This is intentional, so that you are able to download big files quickly. Normal, good results for 6 Mbps service would be something like 5.2 Mbps download, and about 600 Kbps upload.
- NCF Speed Test
- Primus Internet Speed Test
- SpeakEasy Speed Test
- Meter.net Speed Test
- Speedof.Me Speed Test
- Bandwidth Place Speed Test
- Cira Performance Test
- Netflix-operated Speed Test
Note: Because different test servers are located in different geographical places their results are not comparable to each other and testing the same connection on different speed tests will provide different results. If you use a speed test to monitor your connection over time, then always use the same test.